Thursday 5 September 2013

Goodbye my friend...the best and worst week of my life 2.9.13 - 5.9.13

dont want to leave!

MONDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER
Began my washing, and had a cup of coffee which perked me up. Was very hot during assembly this morning! One of the teachers who refers to herself as mum 3 (think perhaps that’s the only English she may know) mentioned that she’d get me some of the bracelets that I was wearing which Chongrak had got me in Nakhon Sawan, she stuck on a mask so I whipped my leopard print one out that I got in China, they all thought this was great and even made me show the directorAfterwards Bla and I went to the shop and after a misunderstanding of presents, not for me for the kids as prizes, we choose some chocolate almonds, bread as main prizes, candy and other chocolates. Not much but it’ll have to do as it was around 515, plus I got some cute Asian chocolate people for little gifts, cheap at only 55B but there’s like no room in my suitcase! Did a quick marking of 6/1’s workbooks and then it was time to teach, in between I tried to plan the fun day on Wednesday though. We did a recap, they understood better today, both classes since I was using some basics phrases such as GRADRA (paper) and KEAN write. We’ve nearly completed the whole unit which is good, would actually love to stay and continue teaching, its often a struggle but I enjoy the challenge and trying to overcome the language barrier. We did a recap POO DAM of last weeks work. Did a song too, again in the tune of “Vera Jacque” this must be the only tune, along with happy birthday that they know… Did some exercises and pointed out mistakes in the book, such as centers/centres, liters/litres and went over pronunciation. They kept trying to say clot-tes due to Jongrak and her really bad pronunciation which she will not change, so I blatantly made them say clothes and said MAI CLOT-TES!! So I’m hoping they wont make the same mistake. We then moved on from food to clothes, I got them to do an oral activity as a class then changed the product and made them do as four tables. Had a wee break and I showed them the Cha Cha slide, a popular song when I was in my last year of primary, did the dance briefly and showed them the you tube video asking if they thought we should do it, they agreed haha. I ended the class going through adverts and as homework set them to making their own, using an example of “Kelly’s sexy clothes shop” which they found hilarious but they all eagerly began even though class was finishing. Made me smile. Did more washing over lunch and prepared a bit more for the fun day. I then had to teach 6/2. Its straight after lunch, its mainly boys and they’re the lower class so its difficult and irritating to teach, but after today I think I might miss it the most as the bad boys are decent enough when forced to be, and a few at the front try really hard and try to figure out what I’m trying to get them to do (thank goodness!) I find the lower class, for some reason can adjust to the different pronunciation than the higher classes. Is this because they don’t think too hard about it, or is it due to their different styles of learning, the others focus more on reading and written work whereas the lower classes, particularly boys, as more visual and use a listening form of learning?
We did “rolling the r’s” something you’d perhaps do in a Spanish class but I find that practise of the tongue movements helps them pronunciation the R’s better, in particular for fruit and grocery. Though its really hard to get them to do a written exercise, and barely any of them could comprehend or be bothered to try and understand when to use “much” (no S) and “many” (s) something I’d never considered before trying to create rules, it just came naturally, strange isn’t it? E.g. how much milk? How many eggs? during the break some of them got me to write down my facebook so I taught them the phrase “my facebook name is…” we did oral work, the boys at the back were really messing around at this point, moving seats, fighting when my back was turned, the first class 6/1 had been quite distracted too but this was in another league. I shouted write a bit, and tried to get them to do work by picking on them to do examples but they didn’t seem o understand where do you get coffee from and the other weren’t helping by telling them wrong answers. Was ready to scream, though their pronunciation was good. Taught them the food song from earlier, I warned the boys that they’d be up at the front if they kept talking, and I kept my word, after we’d done a few renditions I then made the main 7 boys at the back come up to the front to sing, it embarrasses them but also makes them learn and practise, and some of them were actually very good.  Went over one more activity and finished the class. Knackered! Some followed me out and the girl who gave me th earrings was being told to give me a song, or maybe I was to singwho knows but she chickened out. One of the main troublemakers, he even has a cheeky face, was out with them so I said he had my favourite singing voice and he went scrabbling away back in laughing. From disaster to a smile, teaching is such a random up and down experience. Really enjoying it and will be sad to go, had a quick respite and finished my write-ups/info for Wednesday so Chongrak would have it for the meeting this afternoon, then did my Thai dancing lesson with Dang, learnt the 9th song, sort of similar to song 3 so guess it wasn’t that hard, but my clothes were sticking to me with the heat so we’re learning the last one tomorrow. Finished the washing and went for a bike ride, stopping for a bubble tea, got what I think was a lychee flavour, was delicious! A fortune at home, 40p here! Found a new route for once just before another one I’ve been to with lots of fields, the houses were a mixture of very fancy and simple with plots around them, juxtaposed together. Strange in comparison to home, were buildings in town often have to fit in with the town design, or the houses nearby like in our cul de sac, so unlike here, the combination of lavish and simple, rustic and easy going, suits I guess, as that the Thai nature. Was only able to do a quick ride around on Chongraks motorbike as monsoon rain started, got back just in time but was sort of trapped under the porch to the sports hall, though spotted a fellow motorcyclists, seems in Thailand that I am the only one using mirrors as his was hanging offit was the heaviest rain yet I think, the whole path nearly flooded, and I got my feet soaked from standing in one position as the puddle flooded so quick. Bla was out of the meeting for a moment so I gave her j’s key, she told me the English room was BURD but she was wrong, must have spent the next hour looking to see if they were out, least I did some packing. Rode to the open market but it was closed due to the awful rain, saw some of the troublemakers from earlier, they were all so nice! probably as I didn’t hit them, like Jongrak advised when I told them they were badI don’t think violence is a good example, and punishment by learning is a good thing, you might hate ht subject and the teacher to begin with but as your  skill develops your so does your liking for it as you realise its not as hard as you though, and the teacher you loathed, you can look back, understand why they choose to pick on you this way and be thankful to you for helping them. At least that’s what I think/hope. Finally they were out and I was bale to get on. Uploaded some videos and told gag about my phone. The new teacher, the one beside Jongrak, Bla and I, went to the market for dinner. Had the red noodle soup with the coral like mushrooms and crisps with chilli sauce, delicious! Then we al went back to the English room. Stuff was being delivered such as cardboard cut outs of London‘s big Ben and red bus, NYC lady liberty and a Dutch windmill, so Ofc Bla and I posed beside them!
Had a bucket shower at home, thought there was a sore spot on my birth mark, turns out its not my birthmark, don’t know what it is!??! some sort of bite I guess, but painful L  having packed so much away and taken things down of the  walls, it makes the house seems empty, my house is feeling less and less friendly and more and more sad. I don’t like it!

TUESDAY 3RD SEPTEMBER
Strangely today a lot of the teachers were wearing Thai clothes of a Thai style, Chongrak included, the rest were in Pink as it’s a Tuesday, pink is the King’s colour and wearing the colour of the day gives you good luck. Good think I wore the pink earrings the student in 6/2 bought me! I’ve noticed the past week, some of the facial fair that some of the Thai teachers are sporting, due to their colouring of course one has a looming moustache, and Hodelle like to have very very long hairs on her facial moles, she has two and they’re twice the size of my dad’s eyebrows hair when he lets them go, lets say, an inch and a halfWHY??
Marked the advertisements from the class yesterday, all very good, though some weren’t coloured and many didn’t have sale prices but lovely all the same, glad to see them making an effort, some were beautiful, great colour and lovely fruit drawings, some artists in the class for sure! The others seem to be preparing again for the teacher award, the room is a mass of paper, Stanley knives, mats, the cut outs from last night sticky plastic and exhibition boards. A paper mess! Only one hour for each class today.
Finished the unit with 6/1 showed them the marking scheme, so they learn words for good, bad, excellent etc, hope its encouraging. Some of them had even went the extra mile and did interesting shop names, or used descriptive words!  I felt a bit sick due to the heat, so spent a while sitting and do oral exercises, but some of the class were writing notes or doing uncompleted homework, particularly the back table, so I picked on them, making them do the oral exercise a couple times and then again at the end as there were 5 sections, its on “good health” and some of the words are quite hard, I don’t even know them in French and I did it to GCSE! Such as carbohydrate, nutrient, protein etc… we finished the class with something fun, English fortune tellers, they practise writing, spelling and oral in it. I wrote up examples for good and bad fortunes such as “you smell” “you will be rich” and then tried it out on a few, left them busy creating their own. Made some certificates for tomorrow, 3 per class, 7 classes 255 students “best overall achiever” “contributor” and “accent” and cut out name tags, how dull but needs to be done! We’re all busy busy last minute. As I’m half packed Chongrak said if I wanted to on Thursday I could help her set up in the afternoon as I only have assembly in the morning and then free time to pack etc. apparently I will be getting some “souvenirs” from the staff and maybe the students. Definitely repacking!!
For 6/2 we nearly finished the unit, we did oral work and exercises, the boys are the back were decently behaved, think I got some respect from yesterday, especially as some of them have greeted and bowed to me outside hours. Two boys in the front however were acting up, doing silly loud voices and being a plain nuisance. So instead of hitting them as J recommended I slammed my book down really unexpectedly in front of them on their table. Ended the class with them doing advertisements, should have brought the other class exampleswho knows how they’ll turn out. Two other boys weren’t even making an attempt, they were drawing robots as I drew one earlier to explain what it was, so I offered that their ad be for a robot shopwe shall see I guess.
Went on a short bike ride, though found a slightly different route, no idea how, two days in a row, lucky, especially when I thought I had it all sussed, I could have went right at one point which was a tarmac path which I’m sure lead to the motorway but instead I choose the dirt track, as like in live, one doesn’t know where a choice or path may lead but sometimes it seems to call to you, instead of taking th easier, safer sure road you go for the interesting dirt track which could lead to anywhere or anything, an adventure.
It was very hot, so was short due to this and because I had my final Thai dance lesson. Dang wasn’t there when I appeared, she’s sliced her finger open and has a huge bandage on it while she holds it obscurely, I presume from a blade and very very painful! Some of th students were there doing dance 5 (my favourite) and so I just joined in, they thought this was great. Dang finally appeared, I tried to do 6 but they were doing it different, apparently its for dance two and instead of going forward you go sideways. These 10 dance steps must all go together for one full song? I think? Continued on to number 9, she’d shown me the hand movements earlier at assembly, and its done with the feet of step four, its crossed hand that’s you flip into Wong or Jep. Easiest yet! Finished by doing dances 1-10. Hurrah!
Did a write up and borrowed Chonraks bike while she had a meeting. Went on past Waisali and on again to the left, even though it was 4.30 I was still very sunny! Travelled past 4 0r 5 schools and into another town, saw a really strange house thing, sort of like a farm you’d see back home as it was white and square but it was atop something and more like a skyscraper square than a house one, so strange seeing such a tall building in the country, don’t think I like it, it ruins the landscape (does this mean I’m becoming conservative?  Lol)
Was easily on her bike for an hour. Started writing out words for the hangman tomorrow, easily cut and wrote 100 odd slips of paper on food, and we cant get the baking stuff so don’t know what to do about that? We pretty much had every female teacher in the classroom at that point doing stuff for the teacher award, a couple others were in the sports hall doing flower arrangements and testing the projector. Guess I’m a bit excited.
As promised we were going to the temple. I rode Chongrak’s bike and everyone went. A male teacher who’s part Laos and is “black” apparently prayed for my safe journey, as did Chongrak and that I have a happy life and can return. I love this woman!! For the ritual you have your flower (purchased at the market, mine was pink ribbon and a rose with white flowers) incense and a candle. You light the candle and incense. Then attach the candle to the stand by dripping wax on it, then you “Salute” i.e. ask for advice or pray or whatever. You then add the incense to the incense burners and then go to the Buddha, you bow 3 times on your knees (feet not pointed towards him as its disrespectful) and pray or ask or talk again then bow 3 times and place your flower on the Buddha, if you have a gold square do that too, you can also do the fortune teller.
Bla took some photos of myself and all the teachers at the Buddha. I then pointed out to J than my statue with the offering box was the first one Sunday (think she was a tad impressed) she then gave me 9B to put in it as 9 is lucky, i.e. 9th Sept is luckiest day of the yearalso the day I get backso unlucky for me L
We then went to the market for dinner, I had red curry mushroom and rice, delicious! The male teacher was trying to talk to me in English, he says he enjoys trying to learn and often tries to speak it with his students. He thought it was great that I wanted to come back, even better that I wanted to come back and teach. Hopefully!!! Got some pictures of my bike by Bla to add to this evaluation,, hopefully I can get these all somehow. Back at the English room everyone continued to work until 9, I was getting attacked in my sweaty existence by insects as the doors were open and al the lights on ffs! Got pictures to do a speech tomorrow after the directors introduction. Going to do the conversation for the students but for myself, and show them the pic of comber to Phaisali, my fm, comber, Ireland and the map of great Britain so they know where I’m from.
Chatted to dad, Ryan and mum for a while until 11, no rest for the wicked eh!

WEDNESDAY 4TH SEPTEMBER
ENGLISH FUN DAY AND GOODBYE DINNER. ANOTHER GREAT MEMORY OF THE BEST EVER IN MY LIFE

In the assembly Chongrak mentioned the fun day (I realised before she said it, go Thai learning!) I’d spotted some students with roses, they remembered! Aww! Would explain why 6/1 asked yesterday.
quickly did some stuff on my laptop and then the fun day began at 9.
I gave in the union Jack bunting for décor that Nan and gag had sent me, told Chongrak it would be good for her teacher award set up tomorrow.
We began with photos of all the teachers, with myself beside the Director as I’m top dog today and I’m also about as tall as him. For the board I had to give the director and introduction explaining what the day would entail and then he did a speech. Was feeling really off again with the heat so tried to stay near the fan and drink water. Dang spotted a baby bike outside and asked if it was mine, so I sat on it haha, I was like an elephant on it, it was for a kindergarten, I tried to ride but it was impossible. The photo is HILARIOUS!
Once all the formal stuff was over with the name stickers were given out (that I’d cut myself, all 255 of them!) then the chairs were moved and the students got comfortable on the floor. We had a projector and a computer projector, could use either for my activities. I began my day with a basic introduction about myself using the conversation they would then do. I should them my family which they all seemed to enjoy and then pictures of the U.K, Ireland and then pictures of castles and scenery, shamrocks and leprechauns. I then showed them my home town and compared it to Phaisali, such as the church vs. a temple. My primary school vs. theirs, think they enjoyed it and found it interesting. hadn’t really considered the differences much before this. They were really shocked by the picture of comber to Phaisali on the map, its such a HUGE distance! Nearly 8,300M! With this over we began the conversation, with the usual questions, name, age, school, birthday. For birthday we got everyone to stand up for the month they were in and used the microphone on the odd student. Again showing me that some of the shy ones and the bad boys have great accents when they try!  We moved onto brothers and sisters, again with this stand up method, taught them the word nationality and they all can say “I am Thai” without a problem, and tell me whether they live on a farm, bungalow or 2 storey house and where. Success!
We then divided into the 3 year groups to play games. Bla’s animal game, whispers which I left to Chongrak and I did “teacher says” or “do this do that” winners or those you participate the most get stickers. The first round of teacher says is always the worst as the students try to work out what I’m trying to get them to do but they quickly catch on and get competitive, with the odd student trying to get away with a sly movement. The first round cuts the group drastically and move them to the front facing the others. Hopefully they’ve learn  some new phrases and become more comfortable with older ones such as “nose, mouth, shoulder” or “hop on one foot”  I was really impressed at not only how the group understood and caught on and lasted well, but how quickly they understood and reacted as I was doing some as fast as what “o’Grady says” was like in G.B, at super speed. At one point I had to give stickers to 3 students in prathom 5 as they just couldn’t be caught out!!



We then split for lunch as 11.30. Lots of the teachers joined us in the English room. I had boiled rice which is really watery and a pickled veg with liquid not the most appetizing but I did have the gorgeous “meat” mushroom strips. And Bla also gave me a lovely apple juice. Teachers chatted away together and the odd time to me in a combination of Thai and English which I enjoy trying to work out at times. Bla and I took some hilarious pictures in front of the boards for Jongrak’s English awards with tow of my Asian toys, Hamtaro and and Vietnamese one, then Dang joined in, squishing Bla, now its my profile picutre, hilarious! Then some students appeared with some gifts and roses, more and more and more and more to the point were I had a huge collection, I tried to go to the HUNGNAM but couldn’t as I was bombarded with presents, it was better than my birthday, I felt so loved, I felt so ecstatic my face was sore from uncontrolled smiling, I wanted to cry I was so touched! I really had not expected it! And its not something that usually happens, the teachers don’t tend to get anything. I felt like a queen! Even more so when I got lots and lots of notebook and paper slips handed to me and got begged to sign them. I felt famous, it was unreal. All the practising as a young girl paid off with my elaborate scroll for the students that I practised when pretending I was famous. I guess this is what it’s like. It was a wonderful warm feeling. Don't think I’ve ever felt so happy, loved or appreciated as I did, and all I did was teach them for 2 months!


 Teacher says
 whispers
 conversation practise
We did the final round of the games, one girl one every round, she was amazing! She later went on to win best overall of course! We then moved on to tongue twisters, using the board I did 2 for level one, “how now brown cow” my stupid accent started coming through I went over it so many times with the students, as many came up to try which was encouraging. To the point were 20 needed sent away as there was already 10 done and 20 remaining! Then we did “she sells sea shells on the sea shore” some of the boys even attempted it, I was quite proud. Level 2 was harder again, but again the students of all ages and levels can to give it a try. And “how much wood could a woodchuck chuck” was so successful the students joined in with the student at the front. I ended it by letting the 2 main students do it at super speed like I’d shown them at the start, having done it faster and faster as a group. They love it. And they all seem to be getting the “Ch’s” right which is a hard sound for them.
The last one I did, “peter piper” we went over it as a group very slowly, in the end the 3 main ones from 6/1 tried it slowly, they were all impressed with themselves, just as I was impressed by everyone!
Then was the best bitthey kept going on about me dancing so they got it, I showed them the “Cha Cha slide” the song I did in my p7 show at the end of year with everyone, doing it today really took me back. Hey thought I was great at it, I even got low. And then it was their turn! They all jumped up with excitement. I showed them on stage first with them joining in, and then for the second go 15 students came up, it was great fun, such an energetic happy moment that I’ll always cherish, the students behind me and to the sides and the rest of the hall in front joining in, hopping, stamping, sliding, doing the cha cha, even the teachers, the new students, Bla and Jongrak. It was such a happy alive moment, the sweat was dripping off me by the end of it. We called for a break and I lay down on the ground, the kids found this hilarious, as Bla said “teacher Kelly die” haha.

 tongue twisters




 Cha Cha slide, the students and I on stage


 destroyed
Got some more presents, even form the boys, I was so touched, they’ve carried these things all day got me them especially when there was no need, they wanted lots of photos, my facebook, I wrote the song down so they could do again from facebook. So much pink too, they all know my favourite colour, its so cute! I’m so happy and devastated at the same time. I don’t want to go!!
We then wrote up the certificates I’d made, I personally selected one of the boys from Prathom 5 as he stood out as being quite good with his accent even if he did mess around, the response was a huge round of applause, don’t think anyone expected it, hopefully he’ll try harder. Gave prizes to each class for best endeavor, overall performance and accent, perhaps using the stickers they received as an indicator, it's also boosted their confidence, a lot of them do seem more confident.
The winners also got sweets and I presented it to them, I also gave union Jack pens to those who did the best overall. They all seemed pleased. Gave out sweets at the end but unfortunately ran out… oops.
I then proceeded to lie down again after receiving yet more presents! Its more than Christmas and my birthday put together now! Some of the best students came in and chatted to me and looked at some of the gifts that hadn’t been wrapped, showing me the notes and letters, I then showed them some of my photos on Facebook and taught them words of some of the things I’d been given, fun and relaxing, already saw a student practicing the cha cha slide, as I wrote it and my facebook on a board for them.

 Certificates and prizes
 best overall, best accent and perseverance

 Got ready and met the others at Jongrak’s at 5. Gave them the presents, in particular the tea towel and key ring for Jongrak.
We’ve got our own private room at the restaurant which is quite fancy for Thai standard, with a pond and a bridge to an island going over to it, apparently there’s some rabbits too!
We have karaoke in our room, the others leapt on it, and I did a rendition of “hey big spender” complete with dance moves, just as the director came in, scundered!

There was easily 15 or more of us, though watt was not there. Batoway gave me a lovely gem brooch, the only one she had, it’s stunning, another teacher who I often speak to and is very friendly gave me one of the beautiful shawls I had admired very finely made in a salmon pink colour. And one of the kindergarten teacher gave me some tea towels with hand embroidery, how kind. They kept trying to get me to do the Thai song “zombie” which is partially English but I don’t know it. The food was brought out randomly, had some mushrooms and a type of vertical eggplant, a tasty tofu soup which was think like the type I got at Jongrak’s in Nakhon Sawan, and the fruit with a sweet sour mayo with corn and kidney beans on taro, delicious, wish it had arrived first. Absolutely stuff. I did some more songs, drank lots of green lemonade/limeade, singing an awful version of “oh come all ye faithful” “Amazing grace” and “poker face” Blondie’s “one way or another” was a half decent pass, I’m a terrible singer, I must be high in the shower when I think I’m okay! The older teacher and Kru Dang did lots of singing, the older creepy “don” looking teacher as well, and even the director, apparently he dedicated one to me. He was meant to go to an important meeting in Nakhon Sawan but instead came to this, how kind! He did a speech saying how he was thankful etc, Jongrak translated of course. And then I was made to dance, TAM LAY OH, MA! A lot! Bla and Dang were the main instigators, she was dripping in sweat! Batoway joined in for a dance, as did the older teacher, the male teacher who teaches Thai from last night he loved it too! And the new teacher was singing and then dancing away with us too. Jongrak sang some songs as well. We were all shattered by the time we had to leave. Haven’t laughed and had fun like this ever I think, especially when I cant chat to many people properly, another great memory to add to this wonderful day! Lots of photos, hugs and sweet words of “I’ll miss you” couldn’t have had a better night if I tried! Did some computer work with Jongrak in her room, after Bla had to borrow the key from Dang as she’d left both sets in the room hahadon’t want to leaveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
 presents :)
 lets boogie

 party all night
 karaoke





 singing my heart out




THURSDAY 5TH SEPTEMBER
Final goodbyes, favourite meals, touching words, beautiful presents; unforgettable memories

Today I’ve to give a goodbye speech at the flag raising ceremony. Wrote out a basic idea yesterday so looked over it and got some photos with Bla and the other teachers as the gave me some final gifts. The pretty middle aged teacher gave a beautiful red peacock silk from the north, the best type you can get, brocade so beautiful and detailed, more so than any I looked at before, so happy I got it! The kindergarten teacher, as promised gave me a gorgeous hand made bag that her daughter made for me, just like all the teachers. it’s a woven plastic cable bag, beautifully made and great colours, a fan and Bracelet from the older teacher, I asked her, why did she not give me the fan at the start haha! I then did my speech, in English, but mentioned as much as the students would understand, about how happy they made me, how I enjoyed teaching them and hoped I have helped. Thanking them for the wonderful gifts and experience, how I hoped they could all confidently tell me their age, name, school, nationality, brothers or sisters, where they live and their birthday. How I know they can all easily say “how much wood could a woodchuck chuck…” in which they all had a laugh, and know the cha cha slide. Got a huge bouquet of flowers in lovely shades of pinks and lots more photos. The kids also gave me some more presents, more roses and some toys, roses are quite expensive here too as they aren’t native, how touching.
At the English room, 6/1 were outside for marking in and all did a fast rendition of how much wood, nick then did it at super speed. Fantastic! And the headmaster says I’m welcome back whenever!
That’s decided then, I most definitely will be back

Got photo’s with prathom 5 outside with Wat and Bla joining too! I then began my packing, the students brought al my gifts round, some from prathom 6/2, they looked at the gifts and my house having not entered before, I still had the majority of my pictures up and so I showed them, they really enjoyed seeing all the places I’d been and all my keepsakes, one boy had knitted me a lovely scarf as he knew its cold at home, the tall girl had given me a cute xylophone, I was given a Disney princess postcard with a thank you on the back, and a letter, and a little drawing by a younger student. I got lots of hugs and I love you. I love the kids too! Packing was a sweating fiasco, I had 2 bags, one is 30 and one is 10, my limit is 30. SHIT!! Wonder if I can book another bag or upgrade my seat? As extra weight is expensive! Unfortunately cant bring any off the toys there are just too many, I will have to come back for them just haha. Taken some of the personal gifts, all the notes, letters etc, Nick gave me a toy and the two photos he had of me, the smart girl in 5/1 who is very beautiful with her short hair and fringe and excellent pronunciation made me a card and got me a chiang Rai keyring, it’s a pop up card and in the centre is a picture of me in Chiang Rai, how clever and touching! Even got a key ring and blue shell cup from the “don” teacher. Lots of notebooks, flowers, pens etc, beautifully wrapped up and mainly pink! Nicki asked me to see their Glong Yaow practice over lunch and so I did, the kids were so happy I went, and lots of the “bad boys” were playing the drums, good to see them productive in other activates, I tapped away in rhythm, swinging my hips and moving my hands and arms, they loved it, was a great half hour watching them al, told Dang she’ll have to teach me upon return and she insisted I take pictures of my Thai dancing practice with Rebecca. Got some photos with them all too. And then with lots of the boys from another class, some were even holding my arm, how cute!

 mid speech, such passion ahah
 north east thai silk, in my colour with peacocks. perfect!
 such kind students <3


 Hodelle's huge hand fed caterpillar. Amazing!!
 Hodelle and I, she gave me bracelets
 feeling like a royal on her birthday

 clearly a thai princess of the east
 got to love Bla!
 same same

Prathom 5

I then went to Tatako with J, the new teacher and Bla and the English teacher from the other school. Gave J my address and she gave me hers. she also gave me the students number for those doing the competition tomorrow. She also gave me a nickname, her is doll as she looked like a doll when she was younger, Bla as she ate lots of fish. I am to be Pink, due to my pink skin, hair and favourite colour; chuum poo suits perfectly I think! It was raining heavily, met lots of the other teachers of area 3 that are with Jongrak, she appear to have down the majority of the work, helped them out when I could, putting up the ABC on the nails, though he’d forgotten R! helping them place the cut outs to the best advantage, they choose to do my way, so happy. I helped them get it all out of the car too, Jongrak said, “Bla why you make kelly labourer, Kelly teacher” made me laugh, I don’t mind helping, they’ve done so much for me, I saw the guy was sweating when putting a banner up so I gave him a wipe, I practised Thai, met the Young director of area 3 again. And got lots of photos even though one or two of them have their own ETA, strange. The others teachers came up after school was finished so got the names of all the Thai dancing songs RUM THAI it was all very impressive, and no wonder, Jongrak bla Wat and all the teacher sin the school worked so hard!
Went to the Tesco lotus and got some milk, a beer for dad for his collection and some chilli sauce, Dang and got me lots of nam preet. its still raining, obviously the sky is an indicator of my mood. Chongrak made me my favourite meal of hers, omelette soup, which I can also cook, and she made another gorgeous tofu and mushroom dish, a splendid goodbye dinner, her food is always delicious AROY, and we’d already snacked on toffee and almond popcorn in the car, Bla’s rubbing off on me! Hodelle, the new teacher and the skinny teacher also joined us though unfortunately not Dang.
 my toy gifts <3

 glong yaow players

 last and favourite meal

thai orchids outside my house

Wrote up my recipes, I have 6! Then Bla and her disappeared to get my present. Chatted for a while and then Bla took me to the computer room, and gave me her present, it’s the best so far, 2 potables full of pictures of our adventures together in school and outside, some of them are hilarious, ones she hasn’t put on facebook. sneaky sneaky! Going to miss her so much, we chat so much nonsense in a combination of Thai and English together, getting sneaky photos and phot bombing each other, saying “same same” or “kaykaykaykaykaykaykay” or making fun of how I always say “nid noi” and saying the other’s a big gossip. We play around with each other too, she’s my best Thailand friend, Thai best friend. My Thailand lazza B I guess, but not moody or ginger lol. Speaking of her, she’s passed level 2 and starts level 3 hairdressing next week, she is one a roll!
Wished gag happy birthday with a photo message and then skyped, they take my serious stories as hilarious antidotesdad appreciated them though and found them interesting. When I spoke to mum on skype I was knackered and frustrated at the editing of my blog, the connection kept going as the planes have changed route and go over us a lot more at home. She got the postcards and made a point of specifically mentioned her gratitude as I complained last time. Back home, finished my packing and weighed it. So over! 20 bags, one at 30 and the other at 10. FUCK.
Put the tarantula in a box for Ryan. He better appreciate it. BOKE#

Although I had the comfiest bed yet with the extra blanket form downstairs and my hello kitty pillow which is lovely and squishy from a student, I couldn’t really sleep, though when I did and the alarm went off at 4.30 I was shattered, I always am, as I try to pack so much in! Brought everything down. Can't believe its over, it went in to quick yet it seems so long in ways as I’ve done so much, Cambodia and Laos seem like a lifetime away! Jongrak and Bla had got up to send me off as they promised. They were shocked at the weight and at how much I had left behind. Got some final Thai phrases before the director and his wife arrived. I gave Bla a great big hug and told her I’d be back to see her soon and that I missed her already. Jongrak held me for a long time and told me she would miss me a lot, to keep safe and return to her as I am like a daughter to her,, it was very touching, told her I loved her and thanked her for everything. Thankfully we were all strong and did not cry though it was so sad!!
The director had stupidly gave the students the wrong time of my collection so we’d left when they started arriving, reckon they were a tad heartbroken since they’d got up especially, pretty annoyed too! Slept the majority of the journey. His wife seems lovely though, and can speak much better English than him, she’s got a wooden crutch, not sure if its an injury or what?  She appears so much younger than him but then again the women often take a lot more care of their appearances. The students from the other school got in contact with me, their competition began at nine and I had all intentions of going but we didn’t arrive until 9 (randomly at the same time as Robin and Tom) and I had to register, put the stuff in my room get my money etc. im sharing with a different girl this time (thank fuck) she seems nice, her name is summer. In 342 this time and im near the window. Have so much shit too in comparison to her, seem like a right greedy bitch haha.

Did the registration and got my extra 3000 as the director had given me the 2000 earlier, got a little Thai notebook with my registration too. Then Robin and I went to the pool after a sneaky trip to the beloved 7/11. Inwardly the squeaky girl came up to the pool, not sure if she was giving us evils or….a few eta’s were at the other end so we messed about chatting, swimming and bombing at the other end until we got bored and sat by the poolside. We tried to use the spa but it’s a fortune!
Got changed and headed downstairs. Mark was wearing a class Thai silk brocade C LOOUNG shirt his mentor had given him, seems they got along fine even though the others thought it might be a bit difficult with his staunch country Irish accent. Whereas I seem to talk with a slow accent of some random origin…
Stood with Tom, Net, Robin and Mark before the director finally spotted me half and hour in. there were introductions and thank you, fro the co general of the Thai ministry of education, then a student from each university was called up as a representative to receive the certificate for the course, Tom and Malik were one, gave him a big wave and he gave a big one back while on stage haha1 though unfortunately didn’t get speaking to him. Emma deny got picked for UU ffs! Then again I think there were a good few of us as there are 4 campuses. We collect our up from the registration area after.

Lunch was great. Though we had to eat standing up which was a pain n the ass. The director and his wife left just before after we got a few photos together. His wife gave me a big hug and said she hopes I come back she would like to get to know me, I’m very beautiful and remind her of her daughter, how kind!
Had some tasty vegetarian noodles and tried some okay pasta, and some salad with a lovely thousand island sauce, some fruit for dessert, some rambutan and pineapple. Stuffed! Delicious!
The winners were announced after some speeches of the blog competitions a girl from Scotland who’d been robbed twice! And some gay guy. They get Ipads I believe. Bit annoyed I didn’t win but mines so long and not full of interesting stuff that’s not for my family. Oh well! Robin fully joined in with the reactions for her speech, he got really excited when she said “the guy in the purple shirt is awesome” he wishes! Got my certificate afterwards outside. Said goodbye to the lovely Net as well. Tom had a lovely mentor, Robin howeverhis mentor left for shopping as soon as they arrived haha.
We were going to go to the Vitnamek Palace but it was closing soon so instead we decided to head to the park, got a tuk tuk to Lumphini park, doing the stamp thing for 100B and stopping in a suit shop were top bought a cashmere pashmina for his mum, was beaut, the latest phrase for us now, thanks to myself (as I spent so long stroking it, like China all over again!) “don’t you just want to be naked in it” 
The park has a lake in it and some nice little gazebos, full of runners too, we found a nice spot of the grass to chillax and enjoy the time there. It didn’t seem like Bangkok it was so peaceful, what a surprise! Robin planked a boulder, something that surprisingly hasn’t been done once this trip! And I covered myself in itchy grass. It was quite relaxing just lying about, not too sunny or hot, some random man was singing and playing guitar as he strolled through, random! Though not terrible. And we only got bothered once by someone trying to do tarot. We moved onto the swans. Though unfortunately we couldn’t all go on, Robin was on first for a bit, he steered my side into a fountain, bastard, so I did it back to him haha! Then Tom and I explored the area, wasn’t that amazing, untilwe spotted something in the water, A FUCKING WATER MONITOR LIZARD!! It was like a dragon, we kept trying to follow it and get a photo  but it kept going under, the Thai officer tried to help us from the side, then we spotted more near the edge, absolutely huge! One must have been nearly two metres, amazing, and so unexpected!! Really going to miss this sort of thing about Thailand. Unfortunately I didn’t have a camera but back on land I got some photos! We passed what seem to be a Thai hippy camp out demonstration against the government, using V for Vendetta as a slogan but doing it all wrong with “V for Chiang Mai etc

 beside squeaky swag and her "loverr"





 Tom's mentor Net and I
 the three amigos


 planking




 HUGE WATER MONITOR




we then got the sky train (first time!!) and went to Mbk, got separated on the first one but met them again at the stop. We did a good few floors, and got lost at one point, its so huge!!!! Looked at laptops and got my free ice tea CHAI KEOW for showing my passport as a tourist! Got random bits and bobs, lots of lovely pins for presents and two Thai ones for myself, got dad a fake Samsung tablet and memory card, it was awful but great in a way, got it for a good price, haggeled ofc, talked away to the guy in a combination of Thai and English which was great ( I love doing that, and I hope the Thai’s enjoy more people trying that just being silly tourists) But I was wearing my dungarees I gotten last time I was in Nakhon Sawan on Sunday and I kept getting middle Eastern men’s attention (what is with this) 2 came over asking something stupid to the guy, and then persisted to stare and me, looking up and down before they finally left, though only by 20m, were they continued to stare, another 2 came over as well, he was saying I should work there, I replied, maybe, I seem to be a lucky charm, all the ones round us had a good laugh, its because “I’m sexy” apparently lol.
We then left after Tom’s breakthrough were he randomly thought of and decided on his dissertation and wrote some stuff down, random but handy.
We then Hit Khao san, exhausted as  usual, first thing I did, get my belly button repierced for £10 and the bar is beaut, a skull with a hoop attached, will finally have it all sitting right after so many years, and he used all sterile stuff which was a bonus, no clamp, only a bit of a sting but I think it wasn’t as bad as when I got it done in Bangor when I was 13, 3rd time’s the charm as they say! He was shocked when I told him I got it done when I was 13 hence why it was out, I told him in Thai and Ofc the usual I’m a teacher, they tend to give me better deals when I speak Thai and are always so much more friendlier. I hit  my next target, my elephant Henna tattoo on my hip (CHIANG) and another braid, haggled her down from 150 to 120 and she was very accommodating, letting me stand and putting my bad on a seat, she mixed up the henna in a little plastic “icer” she’d made, was wet for ages so smudged a little bit, lots of Chinese girls came over fascinated, they thought I was getting a real one to begin with, explained it wasn’t, the kept telling me I was beautiful and I think I ended up getting her some more work, twice in one day, not bad aye? Maybe I’ll take this up as a living if the tefl doesn’t work out! Got a pink purple and gold braid on the other side and then Robin got a henna on his wrist of a robin he drew himself, cool eh! Got a dress and other random bits and bobs. got perved on again and had to yell for Robin to rescue me, like earlier in MBK, I had texted him “help” he was too slow and they’d finally moved on after 10 minutes, but he found it hilarious!






Haggled and got a taxi back, exhausted as always! Cant believe the guys are leaving tomorrow and Malik is leaving tonight! didn’t even get to say goodbye to him! The time has utterly flown it! don’t like it. More rain for a bit, another mood reflector. And the girl from the school “Mi” rang me, apparently my “help” worked and they won, they then thanked me, made me smile, wish I was here longer to do more L

No comments:

Post a Comment