Thursday 5 September 2013

Chiang Rai, Doi Tung, Bangkok and Pattaya 21/8/13 - 25/8/13

WEDNESDAY 21ST AUGUST
The golden triangle, Myanmar-Thailand-Laos. The white temple and black house, night market and temples. Delightful cheap massage and monsoon rain that flooded my bathroom. On the plus side there was English TV! I watched movies!!

Bus was late last night, about half 10,sat at the front with a guy. Could fully recline my seat and go a neck pillow so I actually had a decent sleep for once,  maybe I was exhausted or perhaps I’ve learnt to sleep during travel in awkward positions now? Got some tasty soy Milk at a pit stop, I want to look young forever like some of the Asians, and its good for me, full of nutrients, very tasty, and is easy on my stomach J also got some tasty drink in a cup on the bus, perhaps it was a form of Thai tea? Chi  keow. Was woken up before 6 and giving a coffee, however they didn’t tell me off my stop or perhaps they forgot, THEY TOOK ME TO MESSAI!!! Fs so at 7 when I got off I had to get a van back to Chiang Rai. Least it was 46B. At the Chiang Rai station I saw I could get the bus to a few places on my list to see which is promising. My tuk-tuk took me to a cheap guest house, “Chat house” 250B a night. Got my own room, a double bed, TV, fan and bathroom J  From the G.H I organised a tour, my Tuk tuk driver will take me to the White Temple, Black house and the Golden Triangle for 1000B. Had a quick shower and changed and off we went. He was quite nice, I spoke a bit of Thai with him and he said a few words in English. They always seem impressed when you tell them your teaching English and are in some random area, not just a silly tourist, also I was alone and not in a group, like when I was on the tour with my tuk-tuk driver in Bangkok, everyone was so nice! Yet when I ignorantly spoke English the next day they didn’t seem so friendly. He leant me his map as he saw me with the little one I’d picked up from the hotel which was nice and therefore I was able to write in the names of certain temples and the markets
The White Temple was about 20 minutes away and didn’t have to pay, as my shoulder and midriff were sort of bare, as was part of my leg I used my Pashmina round my shoulders and they gave me a white “skirt” to tie around. I looked quite peaceful and religious if I do say so myself.
It was absolutely stunning! White with ornate and spindly spires and swirls for edges with little mirrored pieces of glass to reflect the sunlight to add a more mystic spiritual ambience to it, they even had white Koi. The temple is strange though, a combination of traditional Thai and oriental mixed in with what can only be described as the bizarre, supernatural/ science fiction. Such as half a “predator” in a grass area and some skulls… perhaps it was done to represent the idea or sense of the demonic being in with the good and how we must overcome this through our actions, not everything is white or black, sometimes there is a grey in between, good and bad combined. The style of the temple was a combination of good and evil, the fact it was a temple with monks and white represents the purity whereas the reaching hands and smoke like swirls are the mystical mystery and sense of evil, hell and temptation always lurking in with the good trying to tempt you? Or perhaps I’m looking too into it? Got some fantastic pictures anyway and had a peak at the ceremony inside. For such an impressive building the inside hall was quite small. The gift shop at the side was a lovely golden contrast, in there I got a postcard and magnet.
From here we went to the BLACK HOUSE or “THAWAN DUCHANEE” a huge wooden black building, inside it was  like and ancient tribal great hall, something you’d expect to see in an African tribe or in the Viking era, or “game of thrones” but perhaps with less exotic animal bones. They used lots of different animals bones and skins for décor, often using them as furniture or carving into decorations, huge horns make into chairs and tables, Boa constrictor skin used as a table runner. Outside there were more wooden buildings, smaller though and outbuildings in tribal styles, often made with stone, globes, log houses, arch houses, tribal hut shapes, this were even more filled with animals décor, a huge crocodile skin was used as a rug, it was bigger than me by a metre! I could go into a couple barefoot, so strange feeling all the different textures, the hair of a goat, a cool leather of a crocodile skin, the smooth bone of an oxen used as a armrest, the point of a horn used for a back chair leg. There was also many statues with large phallus’ like fertility charms, it really made me want to go on an African safari then and there and explore the tribes, but I am a white blonde female, it would be a tad dangerous.
There were some small horses too, I mistook one from afar as a cow due to its patterning, I got quite excited at seeing this “foreign” animal, a native to my own country, so was a bit disappointed it was a pony, but I quickly laughed, as it tried to eat my black plimsoll on my foot thinking it was food! The idea of home seems like a whole other world and life entirely, so alien to how my life, thoughts, days and activates have now become,  I sort of feel in a way I can relate to the beach in some ways, at least some of the thoughts the protagonist; Richard thinks (though not all as he’s obviously a bit nuts if he’s talking to a dead man) this bubble world, the idea of home and the responsibilities a thousand miles day, just like the distance, I wonder if any other the others think like this, is this a backpacker thing or is it just myself? The times I do think of home I feel a mixture of guilt, dread and resentment at the monotony and trifleness of it all and what awaits me on my returnthere were also some swans..
Seems strange seeing animals associated with home when I’ve become so accustomed to the exotic, bar the mosquitoes, I’ll never get used to them hateful bastards!! Back in my tuk tuk I discovered ants seem to be over me, again, that’s the second day in a row! Is it wrong that I take great pleasure in killing them and mosquitoes?




 random predator lurking about...














 The Black house














 the black penis,,,
 The golden triangle was an hour away, read and napped a bit and stopped for an iced coffee. The golden triangle, or “SOP RUAK” is the edge of North East Thailand with a small triangular island in the middle of a river, on either side you can see Laos on the right and Myanmar (Burma) on the left. How amazing is that!! There were lots of shrines around it and a huge outdoor golden Buddha. Lots of cheap stalls also were I purchased so random articles for myself and others as souvenirs, I also browsed in the gift shop of the Opium Museum, as the mountain area and golden triangle of Chiang Rai used to be Rife with Opium growers and smuggling. I then climbed 120 steps to go to WAT PRATHAT PUKHAO it had the remains of a Buddha and Chedi of 1300 years!  And a spectacular viewpoint of the golden triangle. Resulting in great photos. The stairs were edged with beautifully carved stone dragons all the way up with Naga’s and elegant deities as well. I really have some fantastic photos of today to help remember the majestic unique sites I’ve beheld, all by myself too! Got mum her birthday present 2 + metres of Chinese embroidered design silk in a pale C ceow colour, and some random odds and ends for myself too. 
 golden triangle










 WAT PRATHAT PUKHAO






The trip back was 1 ½ hours. Think I’ll get up early tomorrow and visit the “princess mother villa” i.e. the Kings mothers palace in the mountains of Doi Tung. Charged my camera as the battery was low while there was a heavy downpour,I decided to explore the surrounding area with the use of my map, and also look at the night market. Up the hill from the G.H was a temple, WAT DOI MGAN there were lots of steps to the top (unfortunately a recurring feature for Thai temples, it’s a Hindu/Buddhist thing, the higher up the more you are closer to good, mountains are best)  it had some interesting carved wooden poles, 8 in total on either side of the stair exit, but as it was after four the temple was closed and I was unable to go in. Down the hill to the right of my guesthouse was WAT PRA KAEW  where lightning struck in the 1700’s (I think) and cracked up the Buddha revealing a hidden emerald one, covering to protect it from being stolen by the people of Laos or Myanmar. This is the same Buddha that’s now in the Grand Palace in Bangkok! That was toured all over Thailand and even stolen by the Laos people in the late 1700s and kept in Vientiane! Its been around as much as me haha!  Some Thaïs were sweeping outside it and thought it would be hilarious to over me a broom in case I wanted to sweepfunny. I got a tad lost after this but I found WAT PRA SINGH which was absolutely beautiful!! Lots of different temples and buildings and pagodas in the temple area, white stone carvings; stunning! Could easily waste all my camera memory and time here, unfortunately I don’t have much of either =/ I continued on, however instead of turning left at the market and finding the golden clock I went right, getting a bit lost, though I did pass a MASSIVE golden Chedi, I found some great fabric shops and got myself 2m of blue and gold Thai brocade in a repeat print, it’s lovely! 120B that’s 2.20!! Found an absolutely gorgeous temple with interesting paintings and shrine of what seemed to be past royalty, did the salute even though I was the only person there as a monk was around and did want to seem disrespectful . WAT MING MUANG.
 I found a street name on a map and asked a Thai woman what direction I needed to go from here to get to the clock tower. It was GORGEOUS. A bit ostentatious for the town and its calm ways, but glorious to look upon, wrought in gold, it looked like something Louis XIV owned! Ornate and slightly western in style with a square shape, it had a clock face on every side, used as a sort of roundabout it was full of spires and swirls, a gluttonous sight for the eyes to behold.
 WAT DOI MGAN 


  WAT PRA KAEW


 SOY MA!


 gettin glost

 WAT MING MUANG.

 who is she??

 such colour
C Nam Ng and C dang

From here I found the night bazaar, unfortunately it didn’t really open until 7pm so they were still setting up but I looked around, getting some lovely earrings and booked my bus ticket to Bangkok, 620B for tomorrow night at 6.55, I’ll arrive round 11 hours later, around 6am. I continued back to the market, getting a Chiang Rai t shirt for 50B, it was becoming more lively as more people came to shop and a Thai band were playing on stage with traditional instruments, quite charming and relaxing, ANDDD I was able to change my Laos Kip as we’re so close, got 275B for 110,000kip, and so, near the market I found a massage place and got a cheap massage for 150b, may as well treat myself. Full body for an hour, never had one that long before!  She leant a certain way with her forearms on my neck, heaven! I even got black tea after, just like in China! Except it’s green tea there. 
It was very different from usual though. She washed my feet (they were gross due to the puddles and flip flop combination) and given sandals, and then I had to change in front of her into cotton clothes, loose trousers which had to be rolled and tied at the front and then a loose cotton top, plus a towel over me! 
Found my way back to the hotel much easier this time, got a stunning picture of the clock tower lit up at night! And discovered I had English TV in my room! HBO too! Watched the last 5 minutes of source code, then dukes of hazard (not the Jessica Simpson one, it was awful actually the guy from Mean girls was init tooblonde..) I quite like Chiang Ria, it’s a lot more quiet with a lot less tourists and I haven’t even seen any clubs, its peaceful. 


I then watched “red eye” with Cillian Murphey and Rachael McAdams, a Wes Craven film so I knew it would be good (Blade trilogy) I don’t find Cillina particularly attractive, and he always seems to be a villain but his blue eyes, oh you could fall into them, gorgeous! Surrounded by a bed a long eyelashes, his eyes have you entranced. He’s a good actor though, being in some really good movies, he even did breakfast on Pluto (the same awful story from the guy who did butcher boy, horrendous) the story really made me wonder who I would deal in a sort of hostage situation, would I give up, or would I be like Rachael and fight? Would basic instincts kick in or would I crumble and cry? 
To add atmosphere to my lonesome mood it started raining again, slightly soothing, I recorded itand then it got heavier and the TV that I had kept on for background noise, lost signal the heavier it got, then, upon going to the toilet, I discovered the bathroom was flooded, brown water, just my luck! I had to dress (I’ve taken to sleeping in just a shirt and pants, that’s how hippy and free I’ve become, I’m turning into my sister!!) I grabbed an umbrella, it was like a river outside, and so heavy and loud! Luckily 3 French people were still up at the cafe area, luckily one of the men helped me out as he knew were the owners stayed on the premises, they jokingly said I could stay with them (not to self, damsel in distress gets better help in short shorts). The owner moved me to number 22 (like my first house)  the room was smaller but I didn’t care, there was no flooding, hurrah!



 new friends
THURSDAY 24TH AUGUST
Doi tung, mah fah luang gardens
I was exhausted and hit snooze even though I’d got to sleep before 1, finally got up after 9 showered, packed and checked out, leaving my bag there to collect later around 10.30. When I went to get my umbrella which I’d left outside I discovered a note which was obviously from the French guy, along with a crudely sketched drawing on a girl snorkelling it read “Now you have your “open water diving license”in Chiang Rai, it’s great performance”
It made me laugh, its nice that something went to the thought of doing it and cheering up a lonely girl, I felt like I was part of some inner joke, included and therefore no longer isolated like last night, I guess this is what a backpacker life it like, making random friends and having random adventures.
I went to the city navel pillar shrine which was beside a temple, on up past my hotel and the temple I visited last night, it was all uphill and a bit disappointing to be frank. Short pillars laid out in a circular formations, as I’m not Thai I guess I didn’t fully appreciate the meaning behind it, if there was one. From here I made my way to the station stopping for soy milk to ease my stomach and to look young and beautiful like some of  the Asians Ofc! I discovered a slight bump on my forehead where I bumped into a sign yesterday as I was texting, stupid! Im sure the Thai man across the road had a right laugh at the time! Ironically it was outside the hospital… (which coincidentally was starting up by an English Christian fellowship) I texted a lot yesterday, another indication of my loneliness. I felt better today, more liberal and determined, I think its just when I have nothing to do.

city naval pillar...

The woman at the bus stop misheard me due to my pronunciation and sent me to a tuk tuk driver, inside of Doi Tung I went to doitung, the city navel pillar, he showed me how to correctly pronounce it and when I returned the woman last at our confusion and directed me to the bus behind her which is what I had wanted to get on in the first place, it was only 30B to Doi Tung, and the guy wanted 150B for the city Navel pillar which I had walked to! I discovered while checking my phone balance that I’m entitled to free internet so that amused me for a while as I  was savouring my book and had no music as I stupidly deleted it all to put new stuff on and it wouldn’t work, I only had 2 second Thai phrases….
Arrived at the Doi Tung crossroads about 1.45 having left at 12.40 and paid 100B whereas the Tuk Tuk driver wanted 1500B!  I then hopped on the back of the motorbike (first time not with a school teacher)  for another 70B and we set off. The Doi Tung villa is up a mountain, past various hill tribes (Lanna) there’s even a Chinese community. This journey is definitely one of my top experiences so far. The sights of the green jungle mountain as we climbed steeper and steeper, the wind in my hair, sun on my face, listening to the pleasant sounds of cicadas along with the fresh smells from the luscious forest, it intoxicated all my senses. It was so strange as well be so high up and not seeing water!
Also the realisation that I had gotten myself here, not speaking much Thai, all alone was great, I felt quite proud of myself, though I wished I could have arrived sooner, arriving at the summit at 2.15 unfortunately. As I could only stay for and hour and a half I could only do 1 of 3 options, as I passed the gardens and seen exquisite beauty I decided to go for that option, to continue tantalising my senses.  I even got in for a student price of 45b!  So unable to do the Princess mother’s Doi Tung villa or the Hall of culture.
MAH FAH LUANG garden is gorgeous, absolutely stunning!! Using lots of native plants of the area and of Thailand. Lots of natural based designs used, such as gazebos and bamboo platforms and waterfalls. The flowers were beautiful shades of purple, red, white and pink, a delight to the eyes to behold, contrasting against th various luscious shades of green plant life. There were hundreds of different plant species in this one garden, along with the beautiful backdrop of the mountains, blue sky, warm sun and green forest, a secluded paradise! For once a place was not swarming with tourists! (may have helped that it was harder to get to and mid week?) In the centre of the garden was a paved area designed like the pit of the coliseum, it had a tall sculpture of children representing how they are the hope and futures of Thailand, education, life, togetherness and process.







 wooden raised walk way
 such colour and warmth






 C CHUM POO!





 what a setting
 a paradise garden







 in my element, on top of the world!


 on the way down, the beautiful mountainous scenery

This area is close to Burma and in the past it was notorious for its drug growing and smuggling trade, particularly opium, Then the Princess mother tried to change and made this project, educating the local hill tribe to use their skill  to create products to be sold to the public and the royals, not just handouts. To create a proper job and income so the people don’t need to turn to drugs and educate them on the dangers etc, hence the Opium museum. Therefore from about 2006 due to her investment and the success of it, this area and Thailand was no longer a main source/trading area for opium! I would have learnt this all in the Opium museum or the hall of culture but instead I had to make do with a leaflet…
Had a half hour to kill after the garden and the villa was too far so wandered round the souvenir shop and the open market that sold Lanna handicrafts. Luckily I bumped into my motorbike man and therefore we could leave a bit early! Apparently there are 29 tribes and 6ethnic groups in the Doi Tung mountain area alone!! These are the same sort of people that make such beautiful textiles and go all over Thailand to sell their wares, even Khao San, feel a bit bad no appreciating it more.
Arrived at the bus “hut”  at 3.45 was bricking it as I didn’t know what time the next one was or if any would pull in, thankfully a Thai police officer came over and waited with me, he was lovely, he really did need to do that, back home the policemen would probably ignore the situation or tell the foreigners to go….he misheard me and thought I was from Hungary though haha. Found myself absentmindedly staring at his ass, maybe it’s the uniform or I’m started to become Thai, If I  find them attractive lol!! Got on my bus at 4.10 and arrived in Chiang Rai at 5, couldn’t have wished for better results! Unfortunately at this time the heavens decided to open up, my feet were a stinky mess, though I did stop for more material, 100B this time! Grabbed my bag at the guest house and got a tuk tuk to the other bus station, think he told me he was also originally from Bangkok, being alone does seem to make everyone more friendly!  Got lots of toots from cars too, people wanting to say hello, and waves from children, seems its not just at my school then.. It was like at Doi Tung, people offered to take photos for me and some Chinese came up to just say hello!
Got a package of food on my bus, blankets and neck pillow again!! Least with today I now understand why there’s so many police stops, its due to the drug route, a good few of the younger army cadets yesterday were easy on the eyestop it Kelly stop it!! I also understand why writers takes themselves off and recluse themselves form the outside world, you think so much more and have in-depth conversations with yourself, the amount of silo quays  I’ve had with myself makes me feel like I’m in a Shakespeare play. I have lots of random day thoughts and more spiritual and meaningful ones on life in general., maybe that’s why I’m enjoying the beach so much? I get a sense of Richard’s isolation?
Got a text form my Dad informing me of my Brother’s GCSE’S. he did brilliantly! 4A’s (Spanish, maths, ict and physics) 5B’s and a C! the B in English is great, all thanks to my sister helping him as he was quite poor at it in the beginning. Now he gets to do maths for A level like he wished!
I don’t like to think about home often , well I do and I don’t. I miss my family and my best friends of course but not the of the my life, the monotony, unsureness of what to do with my life, and the craziness that I left behind. I like it here, I live for the moment and only plan short term, I’m happy and free and looking out for myself for once. I like this Kelly, she’s a lot happier and less stressed, perhaps I am already Thai! Haha they seem all so carefree and happy constantly! It’s like Kelly at home and Kelly in Thailand are two different entities. I do want to see my family, and give them presents, hug and kiss them, but then I’d happily return here, return to my other happier life where I’m sure of my life and actions, im well loved and appreciate by the teachers and students.  I’m like Richard in “the beach” running to Thailand to forget his problems and not deal with them, living for the moment and being happyand having the most unique experiences of my life for the better

My bus journey was okay, though I did get stuck in the loo at one point and needed to bang the door for helpembarrassing..

I love the smells of Thailand’s markets too, and the food, I can eat spicier food and sauces each week, the combination of sweet (WAN) sour (PREO) spicy (PET) salty (KEME) seeing the people at work with their simple everyday lives, normal life with normal content patterns, they seem happier, content, friendly. So much more than the Western world

FRIDAY 25TH AUGUST
Chiang Rai - Bangkok - Pattaya
Divine beauty to a cesspit of sexthe Grand Palace to Pattaya walking street
Had a pit stop at midnight and a decent sleep overall even if the smell from the toilet did creep in (the one smell I WILL NOT miss) there was another atrocious comedy on last night, the awful panto that even you children wouldn’t find funny but the Thai’s do, this had a hotel murderthen the new jack and the beanstalk came on, I was excited, EXCEPT IT WAS IN THAI! I just guessed what happened.
Woken up before 6 with a cup of coffee getting off at 6.30 and getting a taxi to Khao San it was so dead, so strange without all the vendors and the swarms of drunk backpackers, no dazzling lights or ping pong shows. Though there was the odd person having a 7am beer night cap/ breakfast beer, keeping her classy as they say! Went to star bucks were I changed, brushed my teeth etc. I have taken a shine to brushing my teeth in odd places, i.e. The back of my tuk-tuk yesterday, at the seat in my bus and now star bucks, as you do. Tried to make myself presentable for the palace as I’d asked my driver when it and the museum opens, as it opens earlier I’ll go there and then the museum as they’re close. Walked from Khao San as its nearby, though had 15minutes to wait as it didn’t open until 8.30am. There were lots of Chinese tourists, taking photos of me, what is it with Asians and photos of me? I presume they do this to all blonde westerners, or pink haired ones haha. Was 500B in, but with that I can see the Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha , and Queen Sirikit textile museum which I was interested in seeing as well. Even was able to leave my bag at information so I didn’t have to lug it around.
The palace is beautiful, the first area was the temples, there were 2 or 3 of them, lots of ornate statues in gold (think some of them weren’t gold leaf but actually gold plated!) lots of mirrored glass, reflecting the sun creating a strong sense of divine, with squares of red, green and blue adding to the splendour among  the gold. Such as HOR PHRA NAGA, PHRA WIHARN YOD, HOR PHRA MONTHIAN DHARMA, and the Royal Pantheon; PRASAT PHRA DHEPBIDORN , no wonder they design them like this, with the sunlight glistening and reflecting of the buildings the place seems to much alive, more mystical and stunning to behold.
A Chinese teen took a photo for me, turns out he lives near Nanjing! I then took a photo of another Chinese, but he had a New Zealand accent. Spent ages talking to him, turns out he left one uni course and was made to study in New Zealand, it was so hard as he had 5 months before he began and needed to learn English a.s.a.p  he met his wife there and they now have 2 children, but although he did a economy degree he doesn’t use it as aged 26 and being an only child (as he’s Chinese) he had to take over his Father’s business and travels 8months of the year. He’s just arrived in Bangkok for a couple days then onto Paris for a European tour and to celebrate his 31st. I felt really comfortable talking to him, easily spent half and hour. I mentioned how I could tell the difference between Thai and Chinese but I wasn’t sure about Japanese as I hadn’t met any, he said it was easy they looked slow and weren’t as beautiful, he then mentioned his first wife was Japanese haha. He pointed some out, guess I can tell a slight difference. Felt so relaxed and comfortable round him, guess travelling alone isn’t so bad, must be why there’s so many single backpackers.
Next I went to the Emerald Buddha temple, did the ritual bow unlike the majority of tourists… the decor, wall murals and colour was spectacular, so detailed and beautiful, from ceiling to floor with lots of Black Lacquer pieces! There was a golden Buddha to the left and then on a very high raised platform the Emerald Buddha, it was the size of a toddler, amazing that they were able to find or make such a huge piece form and Emerald stone! It has 3 different season outfits in gold. Got a sneaky picture too even though I wasn’t meant to :P saw a sign for Mini Angkor Wat but I decided I’d do it later (a mistake I later discovered!)  from here I followed the route to the grand palace.  There were several huge buildings for this, the Borom Phiman Mansion, sidhala phirom hall, and then even more in the main area of the palace! Built in different reigns but mainly in the 1700’s after Ayutthaya, (therefore the King and I would have been set here)  there were lots of different purpose rooms and smaller out buildings such as a changing room or and elephant platform, a temple for urns and shrines etc. a green glass square fell into my bag from AMARINDA WINITCHAI HALL
Which beheld a spectacular throne room with the 9 tiered umbrella (the lucky number) in gold fabric, which a high chair again in gold! Definitely a room fit for a king, with pearl inlay as well, fabulous, it was in a t shape, a western influence I believe. They were touching up some wall murals showing just how important appearance is here. There were lots of Thai navy officers in uniform todayI have issues haha!
There were two armoury rooms under the main palace, one full of hand weapons such as swords and lance, some very old such as a two handed long axe, and a gun room. CHAKRI MAHA PRASAT was the main palace. Designed by a western but still holding Thai features as the original plan of globes a top the building was changed to golden pagoda spires, so beautiful, this combination of west with east isn’t so bad when done correctly. The 18th century was all about seeming more up to date and civilised hence the move towards some western fashions, customs and architecture. Unfortunately like in Bang pa it was closed to the public as it is private quarters that are sometimes lived in by the royalty.

Queen Sirikir textile museum














 Ahoy salior!



it's the rules








dad?




























A Chinese man and his partner took some photos for me, he was quite a cheeky character saying I was beauty and she was the beast, I motioned she should hit him, took some photos for them in return outside the aphorn phimok prasat pavillion and RAJKARANYASAPHA HALL, I then went to the temple beside it DUSIT MAHA PRASAT HALL, being stopped by more Chinese for photos with them and their children, its like being back on Purple mountain in Nanjing!  
I tried to go to Queen Sirikit’s museum discovering I’d somehow managed to loose my ticket (no!! I wanted as a keep sake!) however as I emptied my bag so much the man took pity on my and let me go in just showing the woman at reception pictures that I’d been round and then she issued me another ticket. How kind! The exhibition was amazing! I have so much respect for the royals of Thailand! Neither of them had been brought up in Thailand (absolute monarchy was abolished in his fathers reign) and so it wasn’t until the late 1950’s that they were able to visit Thailand, seeing that so much work needed to be done, more long term than short term the King set about educating the farming industry personally visiting some farms whilst the Queen decided to renew Traditional textiles in particular for her American and European tour in 1960, she researched the traditional costume which had been lost due to the modernisation of the years due to western influence along with historians, photographs and dress in the royal archives, she educated and directed traditional Thai weavers to create silk brocade in the North (where it is best) and used the embroidery of the South along with help from a French designer to create a new traditional dress for the Thai women and also modern everyday designs using traditional Thai produce and techniques but with a western style and hint of the East. The results were an absolute success. She was announced as top of the worlds best female dress list in 1965, an amazing feat in itself, not to mention she was the first Asian woman on it!! Not only did she create a mark in world fashion and textiles for Thailand but she created an costume identity and made the royals a mark back on the A list of the world!
After this I visited a sculpture museum having purchased cotton Asian elephant trousers outside for 100B! I love them, so comfortable! The sculpture museum was based on an Italian artist who came to work for the royalty in Thailand created the majority of the magnificent monuments and going on to establish a sculpture school so the people of Thailand could learn as well! So life like! Yet no colour was used, such an amazing skill, the statues looked like real people!


 Turns out the NATIONAL MUSEUM was closer than I thought. 200B in and I had to leave both bags there, carrying only my camera as I could use it without flash. it’s the best museum in Thailand! Unfortunately my camera soon died after the first exhibit of the red house (with actual shoes of some of the princess consorts!) the final picture I got was of some of the stunning golden chariots used by the royal family. I went to one of the temples in it, hand painted designs floor to ceiling, no monks and only a few art students. It was so peaceful and cool. Could have spent the day meditating. I quite like Buddhism, though I’m still unsure what the beliefs actually are. Due to my unfortunate camera situation I was unable to capture the beautiful Bangkok era black lacquer book cases or sculptures and parts of temples form the Khmer, Lop Bori, Ayutthaya or Bangkok periods such as ones from Sukhothai or Kamphengphet (which I had looked forward to since visiting with Tom) the information about also confirmed my suspicions about why so many temples were on hills or set in beautiful areas or built really tall, to be closer to the nature of God. Just like when they pray/salute, they keep there eyes open to admire the beauty around them rather than Christians who feel the need to shut their eyes to concentrate, praying shouldn’t be a forced difficult task should it? Some of the items were Hindu as well, and even some from the 8th and 9th century!!
They also had lots of gold Buddha offerings that had been found hidden in caves, buried or in alcoves., there were royal elephant seats in gold (some much nicer than Jasmines) there were also Gigantic ivory Elephant tusks from the royal white elephants, some were 2M in length, straight and curved and a few elaborately carved into religious designs, created into a swirl or carved into many Buddha, exquisite!
In the textile section there were some really old designs with lots of English details so I was able to learn all about the changing styles, the techniques and the clothing etiquette, how colour and material represented who you were in society, sort of like the 16th century English monarchs but this lasted much longer, then the subtle changed into more western styles until the Thai traditional costume demised somewhat all together until recreated and revived by Queen Sirikit in the 1960s such an amazing museum. Would love to return!
Got a taxi to Tom in Mochit bus station, of course it took forever to the  brilliant Bangkok traffic. We had to wait ages for Robin, in the mean time we had our usual interesting intellectual conversations which I really quite enjoy, we discussed are interpretation of the Beach, something which I would only do with Rebecca so it was enjoyable, we have the same views of a lot of things and enjoyed taking into consideration the others view on different sections, such as Tom thinking the Swedes are meant to be gay, the ideal of a true paradise and haven is not achievable tough the appearance to strive to be is of utmost importance though underneath it is dark and seedy, I feel this is particularly achieved through the cannabis fields, and Sal, the need for a look out, can a paradise not be shared by all? Tom also feels that Richard does not learn anything from his experience but then again what exactly could you learn from that experience, it was not normal in any sense, he seems to go mad with some form of guilt throughout it. Its not a normal experience and perhaps some of it is to hard to deal with, the Swede goes mad for a week unable to cope, and Richard is the sort of person who runs away and forgets his problems completely, upon writing the book he seems to close the story and you get a sense that he will not look at it again.

 another temple, and rama I monument as recommended by a friendly tuk tuk driver





 National museum


 wish this was my ride around town
Robin didn’t arrive until 5. He got dropped off at the other station and his silly driver then took him to Huampolong.. While we waited outside the front off the station we peered into every taxi, disappointed each time by what seemed to always be an Asian woman, Tom texted Robin saying we’d headed on, he’d been replaced by a fat Thai woman named Chai or something haha. Apparently as I wrote I got perved on by a lesbian haha. I seem popular with lady/lady boys, whilst I might have maybe only slightly perved on the hundreds of army cadets in their smart suits and briefcases, they all seem like sticks, don’t know why if they’re in the army! But they do seem to have nice bums. Looks like I’m to be a Thai bride at this rate haha!
Are ticket was 133B and left at 5.40 they all seem pretty regular. Saw a dog at the station carry a bag in its mouth like a person, so cute haha! Finished the book, though the ending seemed somewhat abrupt, then again I don’t remember what happened in the film, gave it to Robin, seems we have  book club going. We al got shouted at by the driver and then again by a Thai woman who came up to us and basically told us to shut up as we’re meant to sleep, yeah its 6pm, not 10 or 11...
Finally know a good place for bedai’s; Thailand. My feet are a constant mess with walking barefoot or in flip flops or no socks and its even worse if it rains, I really understand why they are the lowest part of your body and your head the highest now. it’s the cleanest part albeit sweaty. I perspire profusely all the time here, to the point I’ve actually felt sweat run down my leg during a lesson, sexy I know.  But Ofc the French did not bring the Bedai to Thailand even though they were a strong influence here, particularly during WWII, useless as always!
Arrived in Pattaya around 9 and got a tuk-tuk to “Mr Mac’s Hotel” which Tom had booked for us. I’m actually sharing the  double with Robin since Tom did last time as its just so comfortable, besides its big enough for 3 and I don’t feel worried around them. Robin’s like my brother with his games and quirks, always trying to irk us but always laughing even when diseased with mosquito bites (he looks like he has aids!)
Headed out to walking street, the most famous part of Pattaya. Turns out I was wrong about Bangkok and Khao San, turns out Pattaya is the sex capital of the world. I looked it up on Google, its were you go to get drunk, see go go dancers or a lady boy cabaret, a disgusting ping pong show, get so drunk you cant remember what your name is (repeated twice as there’s so many bars) get with a hooker or just any Thai girl, as Robin asked his disgusting Danish teacher from the school in Buri Ram, he has lots of sex there.
Robin talks a lot about the Danish teacher Dennis, he’s quite filthy and horny, very derogatory towards woman and often saying how he’d like to do things to the female students (secondary school) he thinks Robin is lucky as it’s easier for  him as he closer in age to the studentsboke. I’d always pictured him as some suave Danish man in his mid 20s. Oh how wrong I was!! Robin showed me him of facebook, he’s repulsive, he reminds me of the fat I.C.T technician we had in my old school. He’s twice the size of my dad and only ¾ of his height, he appears to have grey hair and a grubby demeanour. The side profile was even worse. I squealed when I saw him! He looks much older than his apparent 31 years and he’s quite racist. How exactly when he’s the foreigner?!?!
Walking street was horrendous, so many skimpy outfits, lingerie, sexy fancy dress outfits, i.e. Policewoman and airhostesses, there was one girl with a sign saying “fuck today pay tomorrow” charming,  it was even worse as some messed up sicko’s had brought their families, young innocent children amongst this cesspit of sex and filth, the area actually has a distinct smell, its smells dirty, like dirty sex, a grubby smell, and this is apparently it cleaned upwhat sort of fucked up person brings there children to this filth? I just wanted to go to the beach, if only I’d been forewarned. So many tourists from all over, and strangely Russian woman working as go go dancers, a gay bar, lady boys, hookers advertised throughout, every other shop was a bar with live music or a club or some pole dancing/go go bar. Charming. Was offered a pin pong show every other minute, and these ones were even worse! I saw something about rats and darts, smoking, birds and fish, from lady bits omfg gross!!! There was only a few normal souvenir shops and a 7/11. We did come across a live outside Muay Thai show, so Robin and I sat down and ordered a drink, I got coconut juice from a coconut, how all the Thai’s seem to drink it, with the coconut top cut, still in its green case, was quite cool, though a strange taste, Tom joined us as well., it was a short match only one round but they kicks seems fierce, you can use any move you want in Thai boxing, the kicks to the head are fine, one guys face seem pretty red, and the guy who seemed to be winning ended up knocked out for a couple seconds with a strong kick to the head! It was impressive but a tad touristy. Robin and Tom thought it was put on but I don’t think you can necessarily fake a kick or punch like that, it was a strong impact.  There was also a circle of people in the centre of the street and in the middle were several Thai’s having a hip hop dance off, dancing on there hands and spinning on their heads, didn’t get the best few best it was class!
There were also lots of middle eastern people and restaurants, must be as we’re so close to the south though it’s the other side of Bangkok, the south is were the fighting was happening before I can, as its all quite Muslim. Chongrak and I are neither particular fans of Muslims due to their beliefs that its fine to hurt infidels, if you are truly religious you should be kind loving and peaceful to any religion and person, another reason why I identify with Buddhism. The middle eastern men always seem to have an eye for meactually a lot of Eastern men do, its probably as I’m slender and blonde, not too tall or small.
Ended up near one of the beaches, only small and beside the pier where we will get the boat tomorrow to the island Ko Lan, chatted away in Star Bucks, told them about the Pony that I thought was a cow. Tom had a similar experience in kaemphengphet Market, accept what he thought was a pony turned out to be a baby elephant haha, and its gave him a big slobbery kiss on the face with its trunk haha. What an awesome random everyday experience to have in Thailand. Guess you wouldn’t appreciate it as much if you lived here all the time.
I was utterly exhausted so the guys decided to join me and head back to the hotel for bed, I’d been up for 18hours. We were tempted to get a motorbike, we were actually unsure if one of the driver were a man or a woman, maybe just a sexual haha, “it” seemed to be absentmindedly deep throating an ice-lolly while eating it, practise for the other job perhaps? Ended up getting a truck back. Had a glorious sleep, though didn’t get up until 8 were we quickly showered and headed to the pier to get our Boat to the island, return seats for 150B each!
 the cesspit of Pattaya

 Muay Thai
 COCONUT

 SATURDAY 24TH AUGUST - SUNDAY 25TH
 PATTAYA & KO LAN
We got the boat over at half 9, we sat at the very back in the open air, so we could easily see the open waters and the skyline of Pattaya get smaller and smaller as we moved away. The breeze was refreshing and the sun wasn’t too hot, we were all very excited! Took and hour to get over the island maybe, we got off at the second stop, we hopped on to a smaller boat and it took ourselves and many others to the shoreline were we then got in the van which took us a short stop to the beach, HAT SAMEI. It was lovely, we could see lots of other islands nearby, some large some small, one was nearby and it made me think of the beach, but when I think about it, if and island was that close to get to, surely others would have visited it, bit of a plot hole in the story line eh? The island had its sandy beaches around the edge and raised up in the centre to a skyline of mountainous green, with a large golden Buddha temple hidden in with it all. We had to pay for a seat and then we took it in turns “minding fort” while two of us went in the water. Of course we quoted good old Nicki Minaj “lets go to the beach, beach, lets go get away!!” the water was perfect, as was the sand. White, soft, not really any stones, maybe a few, no scary fish, as lovely blue water. The temperature was just right, not cold, not hot, we easily slid into it. Well, Robin splashed me to begin with but it wasn’t a freezing cold one like you get anywhere else. The waves were large, hinting at a stormy night ahead, but it made great fun, swimming into them, they bob you and drop you down, like a wave roller coaster. Jumping and crashing into them, head first or with your back, sometimes falling over, it was great, Robin pushed me and karma got him back by instantly covering him in a huge wave! The only problem was that it was incredibly salty, tasting disgusting and stinging the eyes, so I maybe didn’t spend the longest amount of time in the waves, swimming back was even better, the waves caught you and propelled you forward, I finally like the beach! Tom then went into the water while I began sunbathing, when they came back we all lay for a while before being asked for money for more seats, we decided this was are queue to move on, we asked about parasailing only to be told we had to go to another area, luckily one of the men on the motorbikes recognised me from the night before asking about a life to our hotel, apparently, haha, he gave us a lift for free, tom AND Robin on the back of his and me on another haha, the trip was short but we had most definitely arrived on the best beach! The woman at the restaurant organised the parasailing for us 700b each,  unfortunately it was currently too windy so she’d let us no at two, we sat under a gazebo and had lunch, I had rice with chilli sauce and some of Tom’s vegetables from his soup, as we’d eaten with her and we’re hopefully getting a trip sorted we were allowed the sun beds for free, lay down for a while trying to tan, helped the guys put lotion on  and Robin did my back as it was starting to go a tad pink, we then hit the waves again, Tom and I sat in the sand with the waves splashing over us every so often, I then gave myself a sand scrub thinking it would help with the tanning,. At 2 we discovered it was still too windy and the banana boat apparently wouldn’t suit us as we’re all so small haha. Another splash in the sea with robin this time and more sunbathing. Robin and I decided that 10B for the toilet was way too overpriced so we went au naturale haha! Badbad! Around 3 we decided we should go exploring, we starting quoting “the room” again, this time it was “this is bullshit” and adding “I did nat tan I did nat” as Robin still appeared white and I was bronzed and Tom was going a tad red, oppsies! We took some photos and climbed up the hill to a gazebo area, a great view point of the beach, it was here we discovered that I had caused a white hand print to form on my leg when I was lying on my front” this is such bullshit” we walked around more until we found the first beach, crossing over a bridge area over the rock on the coast, half of the front of the bridge had come off, perhaps from the waves on stormy days. This was definitely the worst beach, the sand was dirtier, stony, rocks and garbage, not nice, the water was clear, not necessarily good, as that indicates a low lack of oxygen in the water, therefore poor for fishing! But it showed that the ocean bed around the beach was also stony. We all got drinks and were quickly moved off our seats. It was the worse beach part and was glad we left, we decided we’d head now at 4 rather than 5 as we’d done as much as we could at this side really and we were all starting to show signs of burning.





 Ko Lan
 dont rock the boat baby!

 this is bullshit, i did nat tan i did nattt




 tropical island beach paradise


 lets go to the beach beach, lets go get away...
Robin was sneaky and as a laugh filled random parts of Tom’s bag with cuttlefish for him to find. He was still finding bits wondering what the smell was the next day haha, cheeky! We choose a great time to leave, on the small boat that would take us over to the bigger boat back the storm that was brewing broke, the waves got higher and rougher, rocking our little boat on the way over to the bigger one, but the time we were boarding it was lashing. we luckily got seats on top but I was at the edge, Tom offered to swap but I moved away a bit and had a towel, we then posed as Lady Gaga with a towel and glasses over me and Tom being a “little monster” the rain and waves got worse, the row behind us got the worst of it, the edge seemed to have a heavier drop coming in and the sails had a gap horizontally as well, they were all soaked, Robin was sweet and gave the little girl the lend of his towel. The woman in front was using her umbrella as a shield, practical, I of course had left my umbrella and my rain cover in the hotel, typical. Got some great rain drop photos though. The sky was grey, and as we near Pattaya it soon disappeared in a mist of heavy rain and drab grey sky, the weather turned cold, I was soaked. And I didn’t help matters as I thought it could be could to fill me water bottle with the dripping current of rain beside me, it worked and the Russian father behind me helped me but I soaked half my side! The whole row behind us had moved as they were all drenched, some of those who had to stand outside looked liked they’d been swimming with their clothes on, t shirts see through and clinging to them, unfortunately, the fit guy I’d spotted earlier, the tattooed Tom Hardy type was out of sight, wouldn’t have minded seeing him soaked haha! To be honest it rather made for an exciting return, like a storm at sea, though a slight one! I found it soothing to be honest, the sound of the rain and the rocking of the waves, nearly fell asleep at one point only to snap out of it but a large jilt on the boat caused by a large wave. We arrived an hour later, no chance of parasailing, but to be honest I was too tired and skint to do it, maybe in Malta ;) it was slowly starting to calm. Strangely, the water on the walkway back to the main land was strangely warm on my feet, was quite nice. It dried up and we walked back to the hotel, discovering the extent of our sunbathing damage and getting a shower. Tom was bright red on his front and back, I obviously hadn’t done his back in time and the dips in the sea probably didn’t help, it was mainly over cast too and we’d all taken this for granted, alone with the fact that we were on a tropical island beach. (how fancy and exotic does that sound?!) Robin had gone a slightly darker colour on his face and shoulder area, Toms was red but the corner of his jaw was white, Robin pointed out that his back looked like a vanilla, strawberry and chocolate milkshake. Tom had a brown neck from pervious tan, a random white patch underneath and then the red haha. Thankfully he’d got some after sun in 7/11 as I doubt mine would have done us all. I’d burnt part of my legs, stomach. A small portion of my back and sides. The worst being right beside the bikini bottom lines and my stomach. Ouch! Least the white hand print had faded. My face was another story, it seemed a tad red but this developed into a deep tan rather quickly, I look black haha! And when I smiled I looked like a Colgate advert my teeth were so white! Robin says maybe I could pass for Egyptian if I tried so started doing accents with him haha. We all showered and lathered after sun all over ourselves, we browsed at the art shop and gallery beside us, some amazing paintings, some so realistic that from a far I thought they were photographs, there such talent in so many of these Thai artists! There was even nude that I found remarkable and I don’t tend to like nudes, the horses were unbelievable realistic and there was great ones of the slits of middle eastern women’s eyes/.Robin’s shoes were unwearable so he went bare foot as we walked the opposite direction in search of a cheap middle eastern meal, we found nothing on my lead, turning down another road we found an Egyptian restaurant! (my type of restaurant eh!) Strangely run by Thai’s. we each got a curry. I had orca, Tom some delicious herby green one and Robin got a chicken oven baked curry, Robin was definitely the most delicious, hint of spice, hint of tomato and something else, gorgeous! Tom’s was lovely too, I’d unfortunately mistaken his for mine at the start, having sampled in mine seem a bland tomato flavour in contrast. The orca were nice though, I think they’re the veg I’ve been seeing in the market, well one of the strange ones, it looks like a mini courgette on the outside and inside its star shaped, quite tasty actually. Had some of Toms yoghurt salad and we all tried a bit of each others, I shared my rice round as well and even had a couple small ends of Robins fries, even though I tend to hate fries, delicious and a reasonable price at 130B for mine plus a sprite! From here we ended up finding the street I’d been looking for with the cheap massage and Robin’s chocolate milk. Unfortunately it was closed so we went to another. I decided that a full body Thai massage would destroy me with the sun burn so Tom and I went to a foot massage, glorious! She even did pressure points with a stick, very fancy! Oiled, moisturised, massaged, talc was used and the usual Thai thing was done, she massaged my whole leg and the foot, was heavenly. Though she was a bit rough on my shin. They then got us to sit on a stool and gave us a mini head back and neck massage, it was glorious, Tom and I came out in a glorious daze, best one yet all for 100b for half an hour! We met Robin on Chocolate milkshake number 2. It took me ages to realise that the TV behind us was English bbc newsim just so used to hearing Thai! There was stuff about looking back at Vietnam and the first photo of Prince William, Kate and baby George. We were knackered at it was only around half ten, passed a vendor and he asked if I was from Norway. What the hell, Norway, Hungary, English and Egyptian blood in me apparently haha. We headed towards walking street so I could get some pics and vids, same disgusting stuff of last night. We went down a random alley and found a silhouette poster of 3 girls seductively posing so we all did a pose for each girl, a Thai woman found this hilarious and I showed her the last picture I took of Tom! Then, unfortunately for them, we stood too long near a gay bar and they both nearly got dragged in haha!
 3 on the bike
 lunch time
 A hoy!


 a sailor went to sea sea sea




 King of the mountain
 beach and converse do not mix
 retarded tan line hand print
 ROyal Ko Lan wave
 Lady gaga and her monster
Walked back after that, shattered and sore, an absolute effort to walked to our first floor room, Robin washed were BLACK as he hadn’t bothered buying any flip flops. I now finally know what “Dennis” the guy who teaches English with Robin looks like, he’s from Denmark and is a complete pervert, always talking about what he wants to do to women and even the young girls at the school,. Eg. It should be easy for Robin to get the girls as they’re closer in age. Oh I like Pattaya for all the sex etc… I always thought he was some suave Danish guy, oh how I was wrong, I was nearly sick!!! He’s in his 30’s but looks older, ugly fat and sweaty, he looks like a creepy pervert, side profile was even worse ewwwwwwwwww! We chatted before we slept, the wee bugger kept poking me and I kept yelling at Tom to “sort his son out” something we’d called him since Cambodia as he was the youngest therefore sensible Tom and I were the parents haha.
 burnt
 amazing thai art

 the light an colour, amazing
 vietnamese lady



 a cougar from benidorm and tom
 keeping her classy at 10pm pattaya!




 nice...

Another glorious sleep I awoke before 7.30 and had to reapply after sun, as did Tom, are retarded air con didn’t work so we’d slept with the door to the balcony open, fortunately for Pattaya there didn’t seem to be any mosquitoes, hurray! Showered and decided that we’d checked out the “happy Buddha” and the great view point beside us, stopping a the 7/11 for breakfast. The heat at 10 was intense today and unfortunately we’d ended up taking a longer uphill route as the map was shit! The view point and Buddha was uphill, destroying us to the point were Tom just stayed at the steps while Robin and I went up, got some good pictures of the view and I figured out Robin’s birthday as mine is the year before and a Monday in the same month, his was a Saturday so we got pictures beside the large statues representing them, his was much better than my standing one, his had the Naga head above it! Also got a lovely close up of a large brown butterfly on the golden scales of the Naga along the steps to the Buddha on the hill. Exhausted we got a truck back to the hotel, gathered our stuff and checked out, got another van to the SATANI RUT and got tickets to Bangkok for 11.50 for 133B. Sat beside Robin, crocheted and had a nap on our two hour journey back, ended up taking my bra off to ease the pain of the sun burnits pretty bad, raging I was that stupid! Thankfully when I arrived at Mochit station in Bangkok there was a bus to Nakhon Sawan in 10 minutes for 215b. Toms was before that but Robin unfortunately had to wait until 3. Got a wee muffin bun, Pepsi and a water on the bus, they also had shooter on with Mark Walberg, unfortunately in Thai, but he had to take his shirt off as usual for some reason so it wasn’t so awful haha, wouldn’t mind seeing it in English, looks decent. Wrote on the back of my White Temple postcard for the family, learnt some Thai and read some of “game of thrones” the next movie on after shooter was the end of a Thai one that had been on when I’d travelled from udon Tani with Tom. It seems I was wrong about it, it looks like some form of horror film, wish I could watch it in English, it also had that song that they’d played on the radio, it reminds me of “nothing compares to you” same sort of strange tune and it’s a love song, “cheun dra coon” arrived at 6 and had to wait 25minutes for Chongrak and the others, we went to the restaurant nearby her house I had a Japanese noodle, green veg soup, bland, added lots of sauce but I didn’t particularly like it, should have gotten rice. Hopefully going to Nakhon Sawan during the week to get a couple of things, she offered to take me to Udon Tani but apparently there’s nothing in it and im supposed to go with the guys,. Though Tom said he wasn’t sure if he wanted to anymore as he might be doing something with his mentorbut I might see if Malik and Mark want to join us. Apparently I’ll be able to go to the lunch on the Friday we leave, unfortunately Chongrak cannot take me back, I’ll be heading with the director at 5am..fun. Its raining again, it did earlier on the bus too, its following me, reminding me of the fate that awaits me at home L pretty sure my masseur bruised my left shin last night, gay. Still in pain too L stomach is so sore!





 viewpoint and temple!







No comments:

Post a Comment