Saturday 17 July 2021

FASHION & TRAVEL: china life British Council

 

  • Where are you currently working and what is your current role? (e.g. name of your new creative design company and job title) 

I created my company “Su bag” last at the end of 2019. Su means vegetable/vegetarian/ vegan in chinese, so "vegan bags” we sell bags and purses made from recycled paper or cork - eco, sustainable, ethically made and vegan. I started selling in Christmas and vegan markets at Christmas 2019,  It was a good start and I returned to China after, with plans to sell online and do more events at easter, vegan, seasonal and eco events etc, however, with the outbreak of corona virus in early 2020, I’ve had to postpone all this, instead only selling online. I’ve been vegetarian since I was 11 due to my love of animals, and recently turned vegan which a huge passion for sustainability, with a background in fashion, these bags are not only eco friendly and animal friendly but also stylish, durable and water resistant(necessary for our rainy weather!)Instagram:  @su_bag_    facebook: @Subag.kc  https://www.facebook.com/Subag.kc








  • Having lived in China for over six years, what motivated you to develop your career there?


China is more fast paced and technology advanced than Europe, the skill some of the workers have for creating and replicating designs is amazing, however they are often lacking in creativity and innovation when it comes to style. In the U.k these skills are nurtured from a young age, my plan upon coming to China has been to learn the language and gain fashion experience to be able  combine both my skills and experiences in China, may it be photography, design inspiration, techniques, or other and turn it into a potential successful career. Designing clothes and getting a factory to produce them would be my ideal and perhaps making some couture pieces from this by adding to it myself through skills I had gained during my internships in the U.K and China such as embellishments.  Another idea would be  working as a supplier, connecting companies and designers in the U.K with factories and manufacturers in China. Business relationships are established very differently in China, it’s mainly about networking and growing friendships that can benefits both parties, in the U.K a business deal can be established over a phone call, but in China you need to meet, eat drink and celebrate together to form strong bonds. My language skills help develop a strong bond from the beginning as many Chinese feel al lot more comfortable and happy dealing with someone who has spent time and energy learning their language and culture, something I would never have even considered let alone done if it hadn’t been for the opportunity given to me by Generation UK. My ideal would be to develop a few of these ideas and see if they would be successful. In my years being here I have seen a lot of changes and development especially in the fashion industry and style in Shanghai in particular. The ever developing pace has inspired me to work hard and stay ahead of the curve by starting a career here.  



 How has your experience in China contributed towards where you are now in your career?

(e.g. internships in fashion houses, working at a design company and now starting your

own creative design company)


When I first came to China through Generation U.k it was for a one year scholarship program to study Chinese. I chose Donghua University, a well known Fashion University in China, hoping to gain experience, connections and build a network in fashion and creativity there.I soon dived head into my Chinese studies, and, keen to gain unique working experience in the fashion industry I applied for a couple internships. I first worked for a fantastic company called “Peony Rice” bridal and party wear, run by two British Chinese girls (their parents had emigrated from Hong Kong) they have over the years got bigger and bigger, working with WGSN fashion forecasting and sourcing for other companies in the U.K along with developing their own brand, doing collaborations with companies such as holland and Sherry and even being part of London Bridal fashion week. This determination, confidence and desire to develop their careers and passion also inspired me. They spoke Cantonese but learnt perfect Mandarin, they worked around the clock yet still had time to relax and have fun, making new connections and gaining interesting opportunities to develop their company and career. So I continued in my internships, gaining as much difference knowledge and experience in different fashion sectors, from  high end boutique fashion, fashion accessories and bag design, bridal and more.  I went on to gain my first full time job in an American design and sourcing company called Accessory Designz, were I went on to design collections for primary in the U.k along with other projects such as Emojination, J.C. Pennys, Walmart etc. Before getting a role as a designer for a Chinese high end fashion Company called “Eral North” it’s mother company was renown for it’s goose feather down coats, this new branch was to be set at high end wear for 25-40 year olds, with a graceful stylish look and a focus of simple natural materials in an elegant design. For the summer I designed my own “kelly” collection which sold well and featured in the look book as one fo the best sellers. However, management changed and the new Manager wasn’t too friendly towards myself and the other foreign designer, he also changed the direction of the company, instead opting to copy designs, use brash colours and poor quality materials. I didn’t feel that this was what a designer should do and eventually left, returning to my studies for a while to improve my Language skills while I looked elsewhere. Working in China has shown me a huge contrast in work force and labour, creativity is often lacking here and they are not encouraged to develop it, my idea is to try and combine my language and fashion skills into a career which can bridge both the china and the U.k with my experience and concepts and ideas i’ve developed over the years working here.  Each experience lead me to try new and exciting things in various areas, helping me develop my skills, interests and ideas in hopes of a fashion and language career. 




 












  • What is your proudest achievement in your career so far?

My proudest achievement is being featured on a Chinese social network for ones of my designs in Eral North, as a popular unique style for young women (a silk translucent dip dyed grey bomber jacket) 



• What are your career aspirations over the next 5-10 years? (e.g. career change to being

a translator, building ties between the UK and China)

Unfortunately due to Covid 19, my aspirations for Su bag have been stopped and I Have moved online. Fashion jobs and the fashion market has taking a big hit and it will take some time for it to start to grow again, so I have died in the mean time, to focus on language, I have recently sat my HSK5 test with plans to sit HSK6 the highest China level. . I feel that having a steady fall back career as an option is good during the given circumstances. I do not plan to give up on my fashion dreams, I am still promoting and marketing my bags, but all the while I am developing my language skills which will be useful whether I go into a full time translation career or not. Language unites cultures and increases career opportunities and potential.  Ideally my dream would be a fashion and language orientated career,  I hope to be able to further expand my current company and also look into other fashion areas, in particular bridal, with an animal friendly sustainable or recycle theme.



  • How has Generation UK and your broader time in China shaped your career?

 I have just sat my HSK 5 Chinese test with plans to sit the highest level 6 with an aim of doing a masters in translation, both of these career aspirations would not be possible if it wasn’t for my opportunity given to me to study and experience life in China through the British council, not to mention all the experiences I have had in the fashion industry and my current start up company. 



• What advice would you share with other UK students and graduates who are considering

an international career?

My advice for anyone reading this is to challenge yourself to new things, don’t be afraid to think outside the box and take a step outside your comfort zone, to be open to trying and experiencing new things and cultures, and to enjoy and take advantage of the opportunities life throws at you no matter how scared unsure or apprehensive you are. Take what life throws at you and use it to your advantage. Fate works in mysterious ways, I could never have imagined the route mine has led me, we only life once and we should experience it to the fullest. Sometimes it’s good to step away from your current comforts and familiar environment and try something very different. A new place can greatly help not only establish a new network and experience new things but also help give your new perspective and often help with ideas and alternative thinking, we start to see things in a wider perspective once we step away from our daily familiarities and into a new environment. 


  • How would you sum up your experience in China?

It’s been a rollercoaster of an experience. From being so apprehensive and unsure to becoming more confident, bold and adventurous. I have good days and bad, I try to take it take by day and appreciate the small things. We are all only small players in a huge game called life and living in such a huge fast paced place shows you that you need to start to change and see and do things in different ways to try and make a greater impact. It’s help me appreciate culture and language, to find commonplace with others, to overcome barriers and enjoy the beauty and people around us. Chinese are usually very friendly, their culture and habits may be strange to begin with but once you understand their history and language more it really starts to make sense and you learn to appreciate it. Although the older lady square dancing is loud and sometimes annoying, it’s great to see the older generation out having fun and keeping fit, such a contrast to those back home. I’ve learnt and experience so much, seen some amazing sights, had some crazy fun times with a variety of international friends, along with overcoming difficulties like visas, loud 7am daily construction, overtime and few holidays with no extra pay and no gratitude etc. overall it’s a been.a great experience and I’m not ready to end it just yet. I recommend a visit, at least for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment