Tuesday 7 May 2019

TRAVEL: zhengzhou and kaifeng 郑州/开封。 河南 september 2019


Zhengzhou 郑州

Henan 河南



a relatively overlocked provincial capital city of Henan, it became famous in 2021 due to severe floods in which people died, the biggest tragedy being due to people being stuck in a metro and it flooded. 



When people travel to Henan they tend to visit the ancient UNESCO site in Luoyang 洛阳市 of the Longmen Grottoes 龙门石窟 long with other landmarks as it was once an ancient capital in 25AD during the Eastern Han dynasty, 

I had originally wanted to go to the Guoliang Tunnel, but as I was one person and couldn't drive it was a bit too difficult as the transportation is scarce and difficult to manoeuvre in such a short time 



Erqi Memorial Tower

Zhengzhou 郑州 kaifeng 开封 中秋节 23-24th sept

arriving early I was shattered having done hard seat on a slow train for around 15h. I was trying around the city centre looking for somewhere to stay to be rejected in all the cheap Chinese places for being a foreigner and ‘unable to take’ - so unfair. (Though they are pretty grim places....) I spotted a guy who was on my train and followed him we started talking and he said he was from the area but was also looking a place, he helped me find somewhere which would accept me and as it was a bit dearer helped pay (lol)  (a small one bed with VERY basic necessities, old and dirty, upstairs above a store and very cramped.)  but he then was a bit too friendly in my room and tried to kiss me. I played the tired card (I was though) and that I needed a nap would meet him later after a rest, so exchanged wechats. 

I didnt however, I quickly washed n then headed for my pre booked train to the old city Kaifeng 开封 realising that it was not the nearby station when I was nearly at it I quickly got in an expensive taxi which charged a fee and stopped to asked others if they needed lifts...(no impressed) though I did just make it on time!  





https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g297435-d1834002-Reviews-Erqi_Strike_Monument_Tower-Zhengzhou_Henan.html

Kaifeng, 开封河南 Henan



Kaifeng is a city in central China’s Henan province, just south of the Yellow River. Rebuilt many times, the city was the Northern Song Dynasty capital from the 10th to 12th centuries. Dating to that period is the Iron Pagoda, a 55m-tall octagonal structure built in 1049. The city’s Qing-era Daxiangguo Temple is noted for a 7m-high bodhisattva statue with approximately 1,000 hands.


https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/Attractions-g494930-Activities-Kaifeng_Henan.html

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/henan/kaifeng/
Kaifeng Iron Tower Park
https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/Attraction_Review-g494930-d1825004-Reviews-Kaifeng_Iron_Tower_Park-Kaifeng_Henan.html

It was hot and sunny September afternoon (2018) during the Mid Autumn  festival 中秋节 , but it wasn't super busy . 
Arrived in around 30mins and at the station got the local bus to the city centre. It had become quite hot I went for a stroll checking out the river area and near by park before heading to the main square and going to Longting Park, or dragon pavilion, with its old style palace buildings, people in costume and beautiful flowers. It’s the site of the Ming palace of prince Zhou. It Wasn’t the best one I’ve been to but was still a nice walk (need to buy a ticket) after this I luckily found an open public bike and went for a cycle finding the ancient iron pagoda or youguo temple was built in 1049. I later checked out the food streets and shops before making my way back to the train station.


https://www.thechairmansbao.com/people-enjoy-wearing-traditional-clothes-in-kaifeng/?fbclid=IwAR03EXKqOPMnTliQ7b01dgE25kiMmvNFemmpIEQove5BVTYQaFNGxZwAVcs





 https://www.thecrazytourist.com/25-best-things-zhengzhou-china/


Dragon Pavilion Park 龙庭








Yan and Huang Emperors' Statues
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g297435-d1825133-Reviews-Yan_and_Huang_Emperors_Status-Zhengzhou_Henan.html


24th September
In the morning quickly looked around the area with the Erqi memorial tower before heading to visit the area of the huge carved heads of the first emperors yan and huang. Again a very sunny morning I strolled around. Some of the areas and statues were getting refurbished but the main HUGE heads carved into the small mountain were untouched. Apart from the heads there’s not so much to do. You can see the Yangtze River and walk along it is you wish and there’s some temples etc. I didn’t stay too long as I was returning later that day but I enjoyed the sunshine before I went 




 

   


No comments:

Post a Comment